One of the most tough time which a project manager faces is Signoff time 🙂
When it gets to pay money and close the project, you may face a lot of tries to postponed it.
This can happen for several reasons like:
- The client don’t trust that everything is OK, so he wants to delay the signoff to have the time for his people to use the product and figure out the hidden issues.
- Paying money is the most difficult part for managers, so they will prefer to use the product first then pay for it
- Usually, no one likes to be responsible of others things, so if the client has a change in the project team, you will face a very bad time
Ok, how to decrease all these silly things, it’s the signoff procedure with the following criteria:
- Ask and get familiar with the client’s internal signoff procedure before starting to write a project plan
- In the signoff part of the project plan, try to write a very clear well defined procedure
- Never make the mistake of writing people names, use titles or positions instead, for instance don’t write “Jordi Bartual” use “Head of IT Department” instead, so even there is a change in the client company hierarchy the next guy in the position is committed
- Define actual dates and penalties for any delay in someone’s approval
- Always reserve a place for the change request procedure and make it clear in the signoff procedure, over 70% of the CRs I had was during the signoff
- Finally, try to make sure that the procedure is communicated well to the client and get it approved
I hope that helped